Organizer Coach Certification
The Certified Organizer Coach® Credential
The application process for this new credential opened in 2009. Six applicants received their COC credential that first year, several more in 2010, ten more in 2011, etc. We now have 25 Certified Organizer Coaches in the world with more preparing their 2013 applications! Organizers who have completed the Coach Approach for Organizers™ training and met other requirements are eligible to apply.
A directory of professionals who have earned the Certified Organizer Coach credential can downloaded here.
Why a New Certification?
The COC® credential has been developed for Organizer Coaches – a specific, skilled sub-group of both coaches and organizers who provide a service that is a distinct synergy of both fields.
A new credential is important:
- For the organizing profession, because a method of providing extraordinary service has emerged and deserves recognition
- For the public and our potential clients, who need service providers to use labels that are accurate in describing the services offered
- For our trained coaching colleagues who reasonably dislike untrained people using the label “coach” loosely
Method Deserves Recognition
Professional Organizers who have learned and are using coaching skills in their organizing client work have better results. Their clients become clearer about what they want from their lives and from the organizing work. They partner with the Organizer Coach in the creation of new structures and systems. Because clients are more engaged in the process, the transfer of skills and commitment to maintenance is greater. Follow-up and accountability are built into the relationship.
A Stronger Option for Clients
A call from a prospective client reflects an Opening for Change in that person; it is a request for support in making change in their life. Clients want more than a newly organized space: they want something better from that space for themselves -- they want a shift in who they can be as a result of the investment they are making.
An Organizer Coach is trained to invite clients to both identify what they want and to commit to shifting their perspective (the mindset that created their disorganization). Whatever the organizing specialty: memorabilia, relocations or corporate, an Organizer Coach is able to support transformation for their clients.
Coaching - a Distinct Profession
Some organizers have mistakenly offered coaching services without coach training because their growing organizing wisdom has led to constructive and valuable communication with clients. Without discounting the value of these conversations, this is not coaching.
Coaching skills and insights are developed through intensive and challenging training. Coaching is a distinct profession with its own expertise; it is no longer a truthful designation for someone who provides an informed and supportive conversation.
Benefits of Organizer Coach Certification
- Confidence for prospective clients who are evaluating your qualifications, experience and training
- Professional recognition of competency in both coaching and organizing which will speak to professionals from a variety of disciplines
- Integrity and self-assurance in describing yourself as a Coach
- Logos and affiliate listing on the Organizer Coach and credentialing websites
- A fully integrated and strong complement of skills which will engage and empower your clients and create sustainable success in your organizing sessions
- Added services to offer clients including telephone-based coaching, telephone-based organizing, follow-up coaching, and preparation-for-organizing coaching
- Significant hours of relevant training for CPO recertification
- Powerful communication skills which will impact your business and personal life in surprising ways
- A substantial grounding in the competencies, ethics and resources of the coaching field should you decide to go for further coach training and/or transition to the coaching profession full-time
- Training and client hours to use for coaching certification or recertification
The Certified Organizer Coach® application window is typically open once a year for 3 weeks in February. Go to the contact page of this website to request a COC application package and inquire about the application deadline.